Post Classifieds

Main Building evacuated because of gas leak

By Carly Cirilli
On February 20, 2012

UTSA's Main Building was temporarily closed Feb. 20 due to an abnormally high amount of CO2 present. The gas, which is normally colorless, was added to a solution to make it visible and was released in the building's sewage pipes to check for leaks, according to Director of Emergency Handling, Lorenzo Sanchez. The gas, which looked like smoke, was primarily seen in a third floor restroom and prompted someone to pull a fire alarm.

According to the Occupational Safety and Health Administration's website (OSHA), "carbon dioxide is an asphyxiant in humans." In other words a person's blood would unable to carry sufficient amounts of oxygen if too much CO2 is inhaled.

Sanchez said the gas was removed from the building by turning the air handling system in reverse to push the air out of the Main Building. It was closed for approximately three hours, and classes resumed as scheduled by 3:30 p.m.


Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly

From Around the Web

Recent EGC3 Media News Articles

Discuss This Article

GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER

Log In

or Create an account

Employers & Housing Providers

Employers can list job opportunities for students

Post a Job

Housing Providers can list available housing

Post Housing

Log In

Forgot your password?

Your new password has been sent to your email!

Logout Successful!

You just missed it! This listing has been filled.

Post your own housing listing on Uloop and have students reach out to you!

Upload An Image

Please select an image to upload
Note: must be in .png, .gif or .jpg format
OR
Provide URL where image can be downloaded
Note: must be in .png, .gif or .jpg format